Monday, October 22, 2007

YARDWORK and AFMEIR

Contrary to what K-Bear implies, I have both an Internet connection and have been spotted in the daylight. I am such a multi-tasker.

Thanks to some beautiful weather over the weekend, I managed to start on the fall clean-up of the backyard. Most people prefer spring clean-up...tolerating the squishy mess for the benefit of everything new sprouting up and all that. While I enjoy the renewal aspect in the earliest warm days of the year, I adore fall. Soaking up the last warm weather and sunshine, getting everything ready for the coming winter, while reflecting on the summer past and setting goals for the future. There's something in me that connects with that tidy summing up of a full circle.

Not that I'm all that tidy about it. My pruning of the wild raspberry vines has a bit of a scorched earth policy to it. Over the past ten years, I've tried a myriad of ways, both intentional and unintentional, to kill that sucker. It simply WILL. NOT. DIE. If one little sprout manages to take root, it goes wild. Heh. Guess that's why they're called wild raspberries. For a decade, I've tried to contain it to it's original spot. I've even encouraged it to move east, behind an odd little structure I've tried to pass off as (a) a gardening shed; and/or (b) a pool house. It's neither. It's a crappy little building left by the previous owner and we just haven't demolished yet. I'm secretly hoping the damn raspberries will one day surround it, and then eat it, thus saving me the work of tearing it down. *sigh* No luck so far.

This year I made the pruning of the vines a therapuetic experience (for me, anyway) and really hacked away at it. CHOP. CHOP. CHOP. If it makes it through what I did to it yesterday, I think it's only fair to concede the battle and let it have the whole south-eastern part of the yard.

Now listen up kiddies. Stay out of that neighbourhood. That's The Raspberries turf. Those homeboys are skeery.

On another note, I'm introducing an acronym to the Report:

AFMEIR -- Amusement From the Myriad Emails I Receive

Very cool, but the cheap Dutchman must be rubbing off on me...I couldn't help but wonder how much extra the caterer charged for these watermelon artsies...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Aww, how cute. Kitty bathroom pictures...but WTF are they feeding this cat? It's FAT. Look at the gut on this thing!! I recommend ya skip the laxatives kitty, and just try a healthy diet.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Something about keeping a toothbrush in the bathroom seems nasty to me, so mine is on my dresser. Well, now it's in my dresser, cuz this sufficiently grossed me out...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I wonder if the guy who took the pic bought new toothbrushes or just let his wife keep using hers??

2 comments:

SINFUL said...

HOOYAH - you're really back! It wasn't just a figment of my imagination!

Surprised as heck that your into reflecting on the last several months - I'd think that could border nightmare territory - you are proof that every dark cloud does indeed have a silver lining.

About the toothbrush on the dresser . . . where do you keep your pictures of your kids??? So glad you didn't say it was kept on the nightstand . . . you can see where I'm going here right?? :)

Welcome Back Tweet! All's right with the world once again.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I am going to try some "wild raspberry bush" therapy. It'll save the wear and tear on the kids...

(Oh, For heavens sake - I was only kidding!!)LOL

K-bear