Friday, October 19, 2007

I CHECKED THE SPY-O-METER...

...and I'm humbled you still keep stopping in here to check up on me. Thank you so much for all the emails, messages, and birthday wishes. I sure have a lot of catching up to do. On top of everything else, we've had nothing but Internet and computer problems, so I'm feeling pretty disconnected. I promise to catch up over the next week.

This was a brutal test for our family, but we've made it through the first month. Manimal is doing wonderful! He went back to work a day shy of four weeks. Stubborn man...but I'm really proud of him.

As is usually the case when one mate falls ill, the caregiver gets everyone through the crisis...then falls apart for a bit and takes a while to recover. I spent most of the week like this...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thought I'd share some words to live by, out of one of my favourite emails received in the last month. Thanx, D : )

A group of alumni, highly established in their careers, got together to visit their old university professor. Conversation soon turned into complaints about stress in work and life.

Offering his guests coffee, the professor went to the kitchen and returned with a large pot of coffee and an assortment of cups - porcelain, plastic, glass, crystal, some plain looking, some expensive, some exquisite - telling them to help themselves to the coffee.

When all the students had a cup of coffee in hand, the professor said:

'If you noticed, all the nice looking expensive cups were taken up, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is normal for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and stress. Be assured that the cup itself adds no quality to the coffee. In most cases it is just more expensive and in some cases even hides what we drink. What all of you really wanted was coffee, not the cup, but you consciously went for the best cups... and then you began eyeing each other's cups.

Now consider this: Life is the coffee; the jobs, money and position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain Life, and the type of cup we have does not define, nor change the quality of life we live. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee provided us.'

Brew the coffee, not the cups . Enjoy your coffee!

'The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.'

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Leave the rest alone
.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have you on my google reader so I don't pop in and out, but it does tell me when you posted.

Did you get in touch with my friend.

No, I haven't talked to her lately... where has the time gone??

S

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! Good to see you back in cyberspace. You've been in my thoughts. Glad to hear that Manimal is doing so well and that you are surviving.

Love the crashed-out-on-the-sofa picture. However, whenever I'm in that state, the last thing I'm worrying about is my hair. Curlers? I think not.

The coffee and cup story is wonderful. I'll be stealing it. *grin*

Chryssa

Janet Webb said...

So wonderful to see you back posting ... I'll have to ask Sheri what a google reader is ... is sounds verra impressive!

Take care of YOURSELF caregiver! So glad your guy is back at work ... doesn't that make all the difference?

V-Medic said...

glad that Manimal is getting better! I loved the pic, and thought "wow, I can totally relate to it"..heheh. Will try to call ya again this week...hugs...V:0)

Anonymous said...

Leave to you to use coffee as an analogy! LOL. Glad to see you are back blogging again. Guess we won't be seeing you out in the daylight until the next computer/Internet malfunction or Christmas, whichever comes first! LOL.

Love ya...
K

Anonymous said...

... amen, amen, and amen to the coffee analogy....

Eric

Tango said...

Glad to see you blogging again. And I was excited seeing your name in my inbox. We sure have missed you Tweet.

Glad to hear Manimal is doing well. And as Janet said...don't forget to take care of yourself too.

LYMI,
Tango