Thursday, March 22, 2007

HOW TO CLEAN HOUSE

The construction in the front portion of the house continues and it's getting on my nerves. I'm tired of tripping over stuff. Using the back door wears thin in mucky spring. I AM SICK of having an un-hooked washer and dryer in my kitchen. I don't want to go to the laundromat anymore!!!

Still, part of me can't believe I'm complaining. Until recently, we've never been in a position to hire contractors. Ten years in the do-it-yourself fixer-upper from Hades, were spent pissing and moaning about how great it would be to pay people to do the work....here we are, yet I'm still at it. I'm mostly whining to you, dear readers, because I think you're tough enough to handle it.

Manimal is pretty pleased with the whole thing...'cuz he's hardly ever here and just comes home to inspect the day's work. In all good conscience, I can't blame the contractors either.

a) It's not their fault we called a halt to the job two days into demolition, due to family emergencies, so it seems like we've been living in a construction zone for months.

b) They're very patient, polite men and are doing good work I've been waiting years to see.

c) They've suffered enough with painting the powder room, new laundry room and front hall with the paint I chose in my special happy colour.

"Sweet Buttercup" is a lovely, soothing, pale yellow. Gotta love Manimal's reaction. The day I showed him the paint chip, he stuck his finger down his throat - right in the middle of Home Depot, which was naturally filled with unfortunate witnesses. (The true meaning of the last sentence is open to interpretation.)

I was almost afraid for him to see it on the walls, but he said it looks very nice. I'm not sure if that's his true opinion, or a reflection of how much he fears I'm teetering on the edge. Is he humouring me? Either way, it's yellow and it's staying yellow. All the trim will be white and I plan to decorate with navy blue accessories. Tomorrow the terra cotta ceramic tiles are being installed. Then the new bathroom fixtures and vanity, and the job should be complete. I can finally clean the house! Yippee!!! Except...

Once this job is done, we start the kitchen. Complete overhaul. If I'm not insane yet, I soon will be...unless I figure out how to convince myself a mess during construction isn't the same as a mess which just makes our family slobs. Hmmm...maybe this will help - thx, Dita : )

HOW TO CLEAN HOUSE

1. Open a new file in your PC.
2. Name it "Housework."
3. Send it to the RECYCLE BIN.
4. Empty the RECYCLE BIN.
5. Your PC will ask you, "Are you sure you want to delete Housework permanently?"
6. Calmly answer, "Yes," and press the mouse button firmly......
7. Feel better?

Works for me!

1 comment:

DTF said...

Oh, if only it were that easy!!! Thanks for the laugh! I have been trying to get this mess, aka my house, under control. If it doesn't look better by Wednesday, then I am following your directions. At least then I will have accomplished something!