Friday, October 06, 2006

I AM A WEEBLE

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." ~Friedrich Nietzshe
One of my (printable) nicknames is Weebles. Remember them? I bet you're saying it...Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down. Don't blame me if that runs through your head all day long. Life's dangerous. Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down...
It says a lot about my life that I consider not falling down a worthy goal, lol. Truth is, I do consider it a worthy goal. Hey, it's the goal. Life is HARD. And DANGEROUS. Weren't you listening? Please try to keep up.
Let's face it, some people have it harder than others. Why do some overcome seemingly insurmountable odds, while others crumble at the first sign of trouble? Is there some magic secret? Since I've done plenty of wobbling in my life, I was curious...does Success 101 exist? Can I sign up?
I did some research, because once the idea formed, the OCD took over. So, what do "successful" people say attributed to them acheiving their goals? Hmmm, big surprise coming...DON'T GIVE UP! Shocking though it may seem, a common characteristic was good old sticktuitiveness. Nothing reminds me to hang on when the going gets tough like being able to see the humour around me.See how this is tying into the Weebles thing? You thought I was rambling, didn't you? That's okay. It's been known to happen a time or two.
To get back on topic - there have been times I've wanted to throw myself to the ground because I was weary of wobbling. For some reason, common sense prevailed. I think it was the rotund little character in my head, whispering, "No, no, no...we are Weebles!" Most people have a little angel and a little devil character to guide them. Me? I've got an ensemble cast. It's a regular party inside my head.
Bizzara, a clever and witty wench, is responsible for making me see the humour in just about anything. A true diva, not much gets by her. She's very non-judgemental, in fact, I often wonder if she has any sense at all. Appropriate just isn't in her vocabulary - everything is fair game. At times she'llwhisper, "Now, that's some funny shit." And I cringe. If she overpowers my better sense, I find myself clenching my teeth or slapping myself in the head. Profuse apologies are in order. This is sometimes referred to as back-pedalling. Before you get the wrong idea, it's important to know Bizarra is never intentionally cruel. She just requires balance, which is offered by other cast members. Just let me say, I honestly don't know what I'd do without her.
So, in honour of Bizarra, and the beauty and strength found in laughter, here's a joke my 13 year old friend, Lil Kenevil told me.
How do you catch a moose?Dig a large hole and fill it with ashes. Put peas all around it. When the moose comes to take a pea, kick him in the ash hole.

The kid cracks me up. I think Bizzaro must be living with him. If I could wish only one thing on him, it would be to keep his exuberant sense of humour throughout his life. It will push him back up when he wants to fall down.

No comments: