Sunday, October 15, 2006

FOR YOUR SERVICE, I THANK YOU

"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: The only ones among you who will be truly happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." ~Albert Schweitzer

I'm proud to be Canadian. It's in my soul, and though I love to travel, this is home. I'm able to raise my children in a safe environment, feed, clothe and educate them. I can teach them to not only question the status quo, but speak up if they disagree. They are the next generation to grow up knowing they have opportunity - to make changes, to voice opinions, to be whatever they're prepared to work for.

I've tried to instill a sense of respect in them, for these freedoms and the people who earned them on our behalf. I believe soldiers, sailors & airmen and women should be unequivocably supported by the citizens they serve. That's us, folks. Hate the mission if you must - but give these people their due recognition. They've earned it - with courage, dedication and sacrifice.

That is not to say I've never bitched about the military. I certainly have - but today isn't about the system or politics. Today is about the people who choose to serve. Like those before them, they volunteer to face the unknown in order to protect us and better the world. They become our Canadian sons and daughters.

On a fall day nine years ago, I approached a store that happened to be near a Royal Canadian Legion. As I reached for the door, a man's wrinkled hand shakily reached out. I glanced up, saw he work a dark blue blazer and noted the ribbons on his chest. A veteran. He was obviously dressed for a Legion event. I don't know where he served or what his eyes have seen. His participation in the local Legion trumpets his pride and patriotism. That's good enough for me.

We did the awkward out-of-sync dance strangers do, each reaching for the door, only to retreat. Finally, I puled the door open opened and motioned him in ahead of me. With a grin, he chuckled and said, "Thank you."

In that instant a thought flashed: this man was thanking me for the simple act of opening a door - what could I possibly say to thank him for all he'd done for me, my country and future generations?

Suddenly emotional, and feeling very inadequate, the only answer I had was simple. "No, Sir. Thank you."

He paused, and as his eyes held mine, I knew the moment he recognized everything in my heart that I could not articulate. "It was my honour," he said with a gentle smile. Nodding, he walked away.

A simple "thank you" was enough for all he'd done? How could that be?

I've thought of that gentlemen many times since, wondering what more I could have said - to him and every one of his fellow service members. Thanks to the Prince, I've come to realize how much those words, spoken from the heart, can mean.

Today, our country is mourning the loss of two more of our Canadian sons. How do we thank their brothers and sisters for all they are going through? How do we honour the fallen enough for making the ultimate sacrifice?

I don't know...but, I'll never again underestimate the power of trying.

Below is a link to a moving tribute to Canadian soldiers who have lost their lives in Afghanistan. Sadly, it is already out of date. We can only hope, however unrealistically, that no more names will need to be added. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V80W2kigQ_o

The Department of National Defense website provides Morale by Mail, a message board to send short emails to the troops. http:///www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/Messageboard/index_e.asp

Canadian Angels is an organization that helps volunteers "adopt" CF members in theatre. Showing appreciating is more than words; it's making the time to reach out. The simple acts of sending mail, emails and small packages if possible - no pressure if it's not - can make a world of difference to their morale. For the cost of a stamp every couple of weeks, anyone can help ensure our people know that someone cares. Their work and sacrifice is appreciated at home. They're not forgotten.
http://www.canadianangels.org/

I'm joining Canadian Angels - I don't want to ever be too late to say thank you again.

No comments: