Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A FEW VAB DEETS

Getting all the pix from Virginia Beach organized is proving to be quite the exercise! Beebles had to be at work at 7 am on Sunday morning (cruel & unusal punishment...good thing I like to drive at night and she can sleep in the car!) She left her camera with me to download her pix. Normally, I take bazillions of pix, but on this vacay I travelled with my own personal paparazzi, so there was no need. I took a whopping six photos; Beebles took around 300. She gets great shots when you'd least expect it, poingnant or hilarious...but it was getting to the point that we were screeching at her, "IF YOU TAKE ONE MORE DAMN PIC, THE CAMERA DIES!!!" We really need to find her a Picaholic Twelve Step Program, the woman is sick. Bwahahahaaaa. She took plenty of abuse from us ingrates....until a certain photo op. Oh yeah, we all adored ya then, didn't we??? ; )

I certainly hope there aren't any more wonderously flattering stills of me first thing in the morning, in my jammies on the balcony with bedhead and sunglasses, eating bacon while my coffee IV is administered. She should get hazard pay for that one...if I'd have caught her, I would have hurt her bad!

EARLY BIRDS & NIGHTHAWKS

I discovered that I can co-exist with four Early Birds and not rip their feathers out. You know those annoying, chipper morning people? The perky, talkative ones that want to have a frikin' discussion two seconds after your feet hit the floor? What's that all about? I don't go jumping on their beds at 4 am to have a chat, now do I? Better yet, if I did have the audacity, would I DARE to ask if they were going to be cranky all day??? I think not! Heh. I'm surprised the Cmdr. survived the incindery glare that question earned her : D Sunday night I found these jammies on my bed. Ty, XO H&K, you da woman!





GOOD NUTRITION IS IMPORTANT

While the Cmdr. braved the traffic on 64 and returned the E's to BAD in Washington, the XO, Tango, Unstoppable and I braved the perils of the liqour store to procure our basic supplies. Father Bartholomew would be so proud we showed restraint while on our retreat. Thanx to Sister Mary for turning at the door, making the sign of the cross, and telling the staff to go with Christ. I feel we touched them deeply. I'm certain they hope we and the other Sisters will return on our next retreat.



In case you can't make out the labels Tango added to our fridge contents, the "Meat" is the Cabana Boy Spiced Vanilla Rum. Yum. Woman cannot live on home brewed alone, so we sampled some of the local refreshments. Lest we appear too girly after our fruity umbrella drinks, the Cmdr. hefted a Coors while the rest of us enoyed Rum Runners with rum floaters. Simply divine, dahling. I mean...arggh, good booze!







OBSERVATION & CONTINUING SELF-ASSESSMENT

We had a loverly view of the boardwalk from our balcony, and especially enjoyed all the healthy people out for their daily exercise...





The Cmdr. and I were enjoying a quiet smoke as we reflected on our time in VAB thus far. In silence, we watched one particularly fine specimen as his glistening muscles strained jog took him past our view. At the exact same time, we turned to each other and grinned..."We're such pigs!"






One morning I did get up early to hit the beach with Beebles aka Unstoppable...and what a morning I picked! This would be the photo op that redeemed her habit in everyone's eyes. I was resting the back of my eyelids and she was reading. She happened to glance up to see eight healthy young men, carrying fins and masks, walking into the water right in front of us. After nudging me and saying, "Oh, looky here. No, really, LOOK!!!" she reached into her bag and grabbed her camera. I texted the Cmdr. to get their butts out to the balcony STAT!! They spent too much time tripping over themselves and missed the real life view...but the bitching about Unstoppable's camera habit stopped when they saw these pix : D

We have it on good authority that these are not SEALs, but EOD guys. Not SEALs??? Oh, blech!!! Yuck, yuck, yuck! My poor eyes!!! Get those men away from me!!! Bwahahaha...*snort* yeah, sure!












A WHOLE NEW RESPECT

Swimming in the ocean...nothing like swimming in a lake or pool. I'm not an ocean novice. I've done it before. Intellectually, I know this is different. However, when one is frolicking like a carefree child, one tends to forget certain things...

Like...just because you think you're steps from the shore, doesn't mean you are out of the water.

Like...how a wave can knock you on your ass without warning.

Like...how the tow will pull you back before you've regained your footing, dragging said ass along the sand, as you wonder how you'll explain the scratches to your man.

Like...how another wave will slam you from behind, knocking you to your knees and sending a two-piece bathing suit in dangerously different directions.

Like...how hard it is to make sure all your bits are covered while not drowning in the saltwater that's been shot into your sinuses and lungs.

Like...how stupid it is to continue laughing while experiencing these things simultaneously.

Like...how humiliating it is to realize people standing on shore are probably thinking, "Lady, are you retarded? For kerist's sake, JUST. STAND. UP."

Most importantly, one tends to forget how your own sister will be faced with this dilema: Jump into the water to assist your sibling, a human born of the same womb as you, OR grab your camera and laugh your ass off while making sure there's photographic evidence.

Of the six pix she took after Sophieing Up, this is the one I look least retarded in. You may notice the child sharing the dangerously deep waters with me...atleast she didn't laugh at me until after I walked away!





I think Froggie had enough of Virginia Beach, he literally fell over like this when I pulled out of the hotel. No stamina, I tell ya! We haven't had enough, so Beebles and I are taking the collective fam next summer for a week and then staying an extra four days of girlie time.




Hopefully, I'll get some more pix up soon and I will share some stories. I had a wonderful time, ladies!! Love ya all, mean it : )

1 comment:

Lemon Stand said...

You guys always make my vacations look sooooo tame! I think I need a copy of your Planning TO-DO list.