Friday, July 06, 2007

PHSS

The weekend away was absolutely fantastic and I've been meaning to blog, but for some reason, I just can't get it all into words. I think I'm suffering from PHSS.

For the sake of Damnit Janet, who simply can't stand trying to figure out my acronyms...and while that amuses me to no end, I am Canadian - a kind and gentle people - so I won't toy with her.

Post Hilarity Stress Syndrome
~ The disagreeable physical and emotional aftereffects of participating in a Brigade Op, usually felt within several hours to days after initial debrief.

Physical Symptoms may include, but are not limited to: mild to moderate headache, muscle aches, sore throat, loss of voice, sluggishness, lethargy, fatigue, exhaustion, stomach upset, and general malaise. Withdrawl symptoms may be present.

Emotional Symptoms may include, but are not limited to: mood swings, giddiness, irritability, heightened awarness of humourous memories, sad, blue or "empty mood, restlessness, decreased ability or desire to work, concentrate, sleep, eat, or enjoy once pleasureable activities.

Symptoms appear upon cessation of Operational activities that create a general feeling of well-being, such as consumption of alcohol, smiling and excessive laughter, and tend to escalate as normal duties and responsibilities are resumed. Random flashbacks may cause spontaneous laughter at inappropriate times, leading to a common mis-diagnoses of Tourette's Syndrome or general retardation.

The preferred treatment is to encourage patient to immediately participate in the planning of the next Op. Families and friends should be advised that full support, including assistance with finances, scheduling, and logistics,is essential to patients full recovery.

[Origin: 2007, Robynism; n.]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRAVO, BRAVO....couldn't have said it better myself...REALLY I couldn't have....'cause I am under my bed drooling like an idiot...it's sad really....put me down for ALL of the above...and let's get to planning...

AND WHY THE FUCK am I, the COMMANDER I might add, ALWAYS the last to know anything??????

Apparently, we are going to the A/N game in Baltimore...but not to go to the game....to sit in the parking lot and heckle people????/

WHY DOES NO ONE THINK TO TELL ME?????
ARGH Insubordination!!!!!

Janet Webb said...

PHSS sounds a lot better than a week long leanover ... you have the best acronyms: I'm sure even ladies leaning out of hospital windows must appreciate them :)

Aren't you going to need a Trojan Horse for your A/N venture? Maybe even a couple?

http://www.usna.edu/LibExhibits/Archives/Armynavy/Armynavygames.htm

And easy for me far, far away to come up with them but a couple of ideas: A press pass for you, online journalist ... OK blogger but still ... worth a try. Especially bringing the flavoUr of the game back to a foreign country :) I personally would probably try to get an invite to one of the hospitality tents ... put on my thinking cap and figure out a charity/volunteer angle. But then based on the wickest parking lot parties I've ever seen: The Oakland Raiders, that can be the best seat in the house!

Thanks for the new phrase :)

Anonymous said...

I too had post-holiday syndrome last week... need to see when CO wants me back :)

S.