Thursday, February 01, 2007

WHAT IF YOU KNEW?

I didn’t post this morning because I was in a funky mood and just couldn’t summon the desire to write. Last night I was weepy – a combination of being overtired and held hostage by the Hormone Terrorist – so I shunned those at the Zoo and turned in early.

The sleep did me good, but I had a horrific dream that was like a slap in the face. That tar pit that is my sub-conscious had conjured up a black tale that we lost Supah Stah. Really lost him. Gawd, I’m such a mom I can even type IT. My mind was certainly thinking about it though, and I spent the nightmare trying to go on. I awoke feeling like a rock was resting on my chest and a dry, painful lump in my throat. A heavy weight dragged at me as I tried to convince myself to shake it off.

Then Supah Stah called to tell me they were okay – there was a big accident on the 401 but they were NOT involved.

They’d passed the diesel truck about two minutes before. My boy is slightly freaked out. He admittedly checks out every car he passes, looking for hot girls, and he’d made eye contact with this fated trucker. One of those billions of moments in life that mean nothing, until they mean something.

Manimal needed gas, so they pulled off at the service centre. He told me they knew something was up because suddenly there wasn’t any more traffic. Supah Stah knew his friend, Amanda, had been on the highway about ten minutes behind them, so he called her to ask if she saw anything going on. “A sudden sea of brake lights and then a huge orangey red flashball..” She was 30 seconds behind the last of the cars involved.

I’m reminded again how fragile it all is, the difference as little as a stop sign here or there…

So, yes folks, I’m slightly freaked out myself, but I’m going with it. Remember the email that makes the rounds: “What would you do if you knew it would be the last time you saw or spoke with someone you love?”

Wouldn’t the world be a better place if we all lived as though it were? I know I'd be a nicer person if I lived it. I’ve said a prayer. For those who were lost, for those who lost a loved one to find the strength to bear it and go on, and of heartfelt gratitude that today, it wasn’t time for these three people I love.

To my family and friends, new and old: No matter what troubles may exist between us, I want you to know I love you, you matter a great deal to me, and my life would be less rich without you.

4 comments:

V-Medic said...

wow...ok, I have goose bumps! You are right. In our fast world, we take a lot for granted. I will say a prayer of thanksgiving tonite, that your family was spared this tragedy. And one for the families that weren't. After reading this, Tim McGraw's song "Live Like You Were Dying" instantly popped into my mind...going to go give the kids a big kiss and bigger hug now....V :0)

Anonymous said...

I was just about to post on the bb to make certain you weren't anywhere near that mess on the 401.

The pics on the news bring back memorizies of that disaster near Windsor... Yikes.

Glad everyone is safe.

Sheri

Anonymous said...

OH PEEPS...so glad it WASN'T you!!!! or your family...sorry for the other people...but so, so glad not you and yours...even Manimal (if I may say so...STILL on your sife;)

love to you and yours R&R...

DTF said...

So glad to hear that your kids are okay! I hate dreams like that... it's hard enough to shake them and then to have this happen on top of it. Hugs to everyone, especially you, mom!