Thursday, February 15, 2007

THE GOOD

This is why women hate Valentine's Day. Men NEVER do what we think they will. EVER. I've given up expectations, and find myself very content to just sit back and say, "Huh."

Fully expecting to embrace the Anti-Valentine, I had plans to snuggle into my oh-so-cozy Pernicia the Penguin robe and slippers, sip a wee drink, and watch my Matthew McYummy. What day did you say it is? BAH! Go away, Ebenezer, I'm Valentine McScrooge!

There was no hinting, whining, bitching, cajoling, eye-rolling, hey-show-me-the-love going on in my little corner of the world. Why bother? In years past, Manimal STRUGGLED to find appropriate gifts. Truth be told, it was painful to watch. I never needed a grand gesture - showing caring throughout the year has always been more important to me. Still, it's nice if your sweetheart cares and knows enough about you to find a little something that will tickle your fancy, yes?

Our relationship is in what I refer to as a fubar-ish limbo, and I certainly didn't expect more than he'd historically done. In fact, I expected nothing. I really was okay with that. Except, he called me at 5 pm to invite me to dinner.

Moi: "Ummm..."

Him: "Is that a yes?"

Moi: "Why?"

Him: "Why what?"

Moi: "Why do you want to take me to dinner?"

Him: "Did you think I forgot?"

Moi: "Ummm. No. Ummm..."

Him: "No, you don't want to go out?"

Moi: "Rather not."

Him: "Okay. I'll bring Chinese take-out."

Moi: "Ummm. Okay."

Him: "See ya soon."

Clearly, he can't resist the sparkling conversationalist that is Moi.

Honestly, people, you could've knocked me over with a feather. I really don't believe I've seen anything like it in my life. He walked in the door with a smile on his face, a dozen red roses...and something he's NEVER, EVER, EVER done before. The Zoo now owns an enormous mylar gorilla balloon that says, "I'm Ape About You!" I thought I was gonna need CPR. Yes, it's cheesy as hell, but it was so unexpected - I giggled. He apologized and said another gift didn't arrive in time - then he did something that made me shake my head like a cartoon character: the man volunteered it was probably because he'd ordered the gift too late.

Huh.

We enjoyed a nice drink together and talked before sharing our dinner with Sugah Pie. As though we actually like each other!

Lest you think due to my intended VD Strike, poor Manimal didn't get a gift, fear not. I geniunely love giving gifts from the heart and will pick things up at any time of the year if it's something a person has mentioned, admired, or I just think it suits them. I'll plan to give it to them on the next occasion - I truly delight in the anticipation of a loved one receiving and enjoying the gift. Shortly after Christmas, I saw a shadowbox I thought would be perfect for all of Manimal's military memoribilia. Sugah Pie helped me assemble it. Although we're not sweethearts, I care, so that was my gift to him. He loves it.

I'm as confused as ever...but it was a good night.

7 comments:

V-Medic said...

Tweet, that is wonderful! Honestly, I just about melted when I read this! Hope you and Manimal had a great Valentine's Day. Just when you convince yourself that they are asses, they go and screw up your perception!lol....V:0)

Anonymous said...

One day you're going to have to tell me the entire story.... Cause except for being male and therefore totally flawed and imperfect... this year he's been doing pretty good.

S.

Lemon Stand said...

So glad to hear you had a nice holiday!

SINFUL said...

You don't happen to be known for over-analyzing do ya Tweet?

Enjoy!!

Tango said...

Yep, Just when when we think we have them all figured out...

I'm glad Manimal surprised you. Sounds like you had a wonderful evening. Manimal came bearing gifts and sustenance, you had a little conversation, a little beverage; all in the comforts of the Zoo.

I have to ask ~ Had you changed in to your Pernicia robe & slippers before he called?

Anonymous said...

HOW the hell is Pernicia the Penquin?....WHY am I ALWAYS THE LAST TO KNOW EVERYTHING?
I am reserving judgement on the whole Manimal deal...but I am glad you had some eats:)...I had a sandwich yesterday, with a Smartie chaser...snickers!

R&R said...

V & Tango: Let's use extreme caution with words like wonderful, shall we?

FW2: You really had me thinking, so I went thru the archives. I've only mentioned him 3 times this year. Perhaps because I don't speak of him oft, one might assume Ranger is too picky and Manimal is that rare delight, a wonderful male specimen, hmmm?

CMDR: A Smartie chaser with Snickers? Careful, girl, you'll be mainlining M&M's before ya know it!!

Sin I've been thinking very carefully about your question. I'm really debating it in my mind, but I don't want to rush into anything. After I ask a few people what their stance is, I'll evaluate their comments, ponder the situation, re-asess and get back to you with my report.

: )