Friday, December 08, 2006

HANG ON TO WHAT WORKS

I've been yanked out of my pity-party by remembering what's really important and why this time of year is so special. Thanks to Lemon Stand for hosting the Holiday Traditions Swap. Such a great idea!! This will be a fairly long post since I have to catch up ; ) On with our traditions...

The Lights
I try to change it up every year, but it just doesn't feel like the holidays until the outdoor lights are up. I like to put them up the last weekend in November. My favourite year, we had icicle lights along the two-level roof, around the upstairs windows & the fence that runs the length of our property. Mamacita had scammed a ton of wreaths from Gawd only knows where, put big red bows on them and we hung them at intervals all along the fence. We got so many compliments that year about how festive it made the neighbourhood look. This is a minimalist year (no he-man help.) The girls & I lined the front porch with candy cane rope lights. I bought some of the new LED multi-coloured; they give off such pretty jewel tones! We put them around the front window, the door, and also decorated two large pots of greens. It's a cheery effect. As we stood back to examine our work, I nudged the girls and said, "Not bad for a couple of broads, huh?"

Indoors, I hang garland along the railing where our living room overlooks the kitchen and string mini lights through it. Tried white lights one year, but the multi-coloured give a nicer effect. I add small ornaments I've collected through the years and line up a festively dressed collection of teddy bears to watch over the happenings in the kitchen. I love to turn off all the lights except the garland and tree to just enjoy the ambiance.

The Tree
Always fresh, we cut it down at a local farm. The kids whine every year about trudging through the snow, but if I dare to suggest we buy one, they balk that we HAVE to cut our own tree! Go figure. For those who fear, try this one on...when I was growing up, we had real candles on our tree, lit on Christmas Eve. German tradition. OMG, I can't even imagine doing that! One year Beebles singed her bangs off blowing them out. Silly sister, blow out the top ones first *snicker* I grew up a city-girl, but one of my favourite memories is going to the Canadian Tire parking lot with my dad every year to buy our tree. Proof that it doesn't matter what the tradition is, it's the repetetiton that builds the cherished memories.

Ornaments are added each year, a personalized one for every family member. The kids love pulling out all the ones they've made over the years. They are hung near the top - with five cats, we have more than our share of breakage, so I save the unsentimental for the bottom half.

The Baking
Not a baker by nature, I do make a serious effort for the holidays, simply because I started when the kids were little and they expect it. One tradition I've let slide that I'm going to remedy: making rum-balls with Beebles. Sweet Pea, Sugah Pie & Ling Ling are old enough to do the grunt work. : )

The Ginger Bread House
Another tradition I started when the kids were little. My dad bought them a ginger bread house and they loved looking at it so much, the next year I tried it. After years of throwing out rock hard, uneaten ginger bread houses, last year I had an epiphany. Does anyone actually eat these things??? Not at my house, so why am I wasting the time & money to bake it? It's the fun & laughter spent together decorating it that matters. This sounds soooo tacky, but I DON'T CARE!! This year, I'm making one out of cardboard and buying all the candies in bulk. I'll make the icing extra thick, we can still play Christmas carols, drink egg nog and decorate to our hearts content.

Father Christmas
This is a tradition I've never shared before. I have a Father Christmas that stands about two and a half feet tall. He's fashioned in traditional style, with a burgundy velvet robe. My dad passed away in September 1999, leaving a gaping hole in my life. We were extremely close. I still miss him every day, and naturally, that's intensified during the holidays. In an effort to deal with my feelings, I wrote him a letter the first year, pouring out all my wishes and regrets. I pinned it inside the robe of my Father Christmas. At some point during the holidays every year, I write my dad a letter and add it to the others. I don't think anyone else even knows they're there. I don't read them, it just helps to write them. I suppose one year after I'm gone, one of the kids will discover them. I hope it doesn't creep them out.

The Shopping
I start earlier every year because I hate the crowds and this year I'm almost done. Wrapping awaits, and I hate that part. Somehow that always falls to me, but Sugah Pie has shown a very creative flair & attention to detail so she'll help more this year. Each child gets undivided time and attention for their gift buying for others. First with me, then with the Prince. It usually includes lunch or dinner out, so December's a pretty good month to be a kid around here.

The Stocking
The girls recently told me the stocking is their favourite part of Christmas. HUH? So all those years I ran around like a mad woman searching for the gifts they simply had to have and spending oodles of money, I didn't have to??? Because the freakin' stocking I filled from the dollar store is their favourite part??? Yep. Sure enough, they each recited what they find every year and how exciting it is to reach in to see what new things I've added. As the kids get older, things have been eliminated and added to reflect their interests. Currently, a stocking in our house includes: a magazine, pens, pencils, hair accessories, nail polish, mini bath gels, mosturizers, hair gel, razor blades, small bottles of cologne, breath mints, keychains, fuel cards, car accessories, lottery tickets, socks, goofy stuff that amuses me, and of course, the required chocolates! More than they need or is good for them, but it's expected.

In honour of Mamacita's German heritage and childhood memories, I always make a trip to a European Deli to buy a marzipan pig and a German newspaper. The Prince's mom is Dutch and he gets double salt licorice (ewwie if you ask me, yet amazingly, he thanks me for it.) While I'm there, I make sure to grab the little chocolates that look like ladybugs - I got these when I was growing up. What the heck ladybugs, pigs and licorice have to do with Christmas, I haven't a clue, but I do it and everyone would be disappointed if I didn't.

Christmas Eve
Not much brings me to tears more reliably than Chrismas service. Why is hard to explain, except it's one of the rare times in life when I feel truly peaceful. We get dressed up for the 8 pm service and after, come back to the house and enjoy a few drinks with our traditional meal of Rouladen, mashed potatoes & red cabbage. After we've tidied up, the kids are allowed to pick one gift each to open...I used to be able to guide them to the new pajamas, but they caught on pretty quickly and I had to change strategies - if I want a particular gift to wait until the morning, I don't put it under the tree until they've gone to bed.

A wonderful memory that isn't a tradition, but it's become part of family legend and I suppose the re-telling of the story has become a tradition of it's own. Each year the kids got older, it seemed they would wake us earlier and earlier. Six years ago, it had gotten to the ridiculous 4:30 am! The next year, the Prince and I stayed up until 3 am, enjoying a few drinks and talking. When we realized the kids would likely be waking us within an hour or two, we both groaned. Suddenly, he got a gleam in his eye. "Let's turn the table on them." We gathered a few bells and the camera, waited about 45 minutes and went upstairs. Ringing the bells loudly, Prince was chuckling, "Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas! Wake up kids - Santa's been here!"

Three bleary eyed kids squinted at us, moaned and fell back in bed...the pictures are priceless. The Prince and I became giddy from oxygen deprivation caused by laughing too hard, so obviously we can't be held responsible for what followed. We made the little buggers get up and have Christmas morning. The whole nine yards. They perked up with hot chocolate while they opened their presents, and aside from the fact it was still dark out, we enjoyed our traditional breakfast of cinnamon
buns, omelettes, english muffins and jams. They laughingly told us we must be getting senile or somethin' for acting so crazy. 7 year-old Sugah Pie asked, "Did you forget you guys are the parents?"

Everyone was back in bed by 7:30 and we all slept until noon. It was wonderful. The following year, nobody woke us until the respectable hour of 7 am.

Boxing Day Madness
At our house, Boxing Day isn't about shopping. It's usually the day Beebles & I and our children get together to celebrate the holidays. As families grew over the years, there were in-laws with their own traditions to consider and it just never seemed worth it to create hard feelings when it should be about celebrating. We NEED to have that special day together and Boxing Day works well. It's very low key and fun-filled. As long as we can all pile in and hang out, it doesn't matter where we are. Some years it's been at Mamacita's house, others at Beebles or mine. There usually isn't enough space, there's too much food and it never lasts long enough. It's the relaxing part of the holidays to kick back, have a few drinks, and just enjoy being together. It's gone from little ones bundled up to play in the snow and go toboggoning to young adults bringing along their boyfriends & girlfriends. The family stories, dormant since Thanksgiving, get re-told amid laughter and teasing. One tradition that's taken hold is a highly competitive, totally stupid, absolutely hilarious game called Spoons. The holidays just wouldn't be the same without it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well me luv
Sorry, new slangs and nick names, I've been hanging around a lot of nuffies (sp??) the last few weeks and their language seem to be rubbing off on me : ) Ah, heck it could be worse, right?? Anyhow, as it is 2:47am (in my neck of the woods, you do the convert over to your neck of the woods) and I'm in a funk!! I'm listening to what I consider to be depresising tunes, and just finished watching canadian troop tributes on you-tube. So let me tell you that I didn't get too far into your most recent blog and I was crying. A good cry, I think?? It was truly beautiful, I saw the memories/traditions that make you saine in such a crazy world. I saw the love, as a couple, and as a family that make you whole. I think I cried mostly becasue of what was and what is now, what is lost and how sad it is : ( I am so sorry and you know I always keep my fingers crossed that things will work. You've been yanked from your pitty-fest and I couldn't be more relieved. Worried about you girl!!!
Hey, download 'lips of an angel' by hinder. Good tune!! Oh yeah and "watching you" by Rodney Atkins. Who come's to mind?
I had an extremly intense dream which is why I'm up and not sleeping like all other normal human beings around here, especially seen as i have to be up in 4 hours and have to drive into Edmonton in 5! AHHH...You know, dreams are very tricky/complex things, aren't they?? Any insight into dreams?? Anyhow little bit on it, keep in mind I've had similar ones about the same people/person. Anyhow I'm waiting in a CF building and "Pet" (like??..huh? pretty clever..huh? LOL) anyhow, he appears, he's happy because he wsn't expecting to see me there and run to eachother. Then we just hug and hold onto eachother. I wake up and I can still feel him on my finger-tips, give's my goosey bumps just typing it. Crazy or what?? I think I'm going to a palm/card reader. Have you ever been?? What's your scoop on them?? I think I fell 1 too many times when I was snowboarding last weekend?? Or maybe not enogh?? Interesting...? I'll send you some pics, email me and let me know wehre to send them.. Well It's like 3:20am, I think i should at least try the sleep thing one more time tonight. Totally amazing blog tonight, sounds like you are happy and that makes me feel better.
CHOW!

Anonymous said...

I have Xmas cards sent and Xmas presents bought. Still need stocking stuffers but otherwise I'm DONE!!!

Need to start putting up decorations. You have a lot more than I do... I buy a little more every year. This year I am only putting out my houses - not enough space :) Little boy carted the figurines last year and I think I'll wait another year or 2 before putting them out. I became a pro at fixing Santa with crazy glue.

Have a good day.