Tuesday, December 19, 2006

CHRISTMAS MEME O'TWENTY THREE

A few days ago, my SIL Tink emailed me a MEME. Rather than email it back (she probably thinks I deleted it) it's appearing in today's blog, which means I didn't have to wrack my brain for a topic. Sometimes life is too darned good.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I start with a combo of pretty paper and ribbons, as well as lovely gift bags stuffed with co-ordinating tissue paper. By the 23rd, I'm trying to figure out exactly how tacky it would be to slap a bow on the shopping bag the gift is in.

2. Real tree or artificial? Always real. The one year I tried artificial I spent December in ICU. Rationally I know it's not connected, but there ya go, I'm not a rational creature.

3. When do you put up the tree? This is a tricky one. Over the years, I've had to balance the risks. Put it up too early and end up with a fire hazard that no longer resembles a tree a week before Christmas. Putting it up too late is taking a chance my ears will bleed from the kids whining. Two weeks before Christmas seems to be the groove.

4. When do you take the tree down? Heheh...you know that sad little tree on the Charlie Brown Christmas? Yep, I wait just a little bit longer.

5. Do you like eggnog? No, but the rum is so harsh without it.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Typewriter. Go figure.

7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, the ugly...I mean, the heirloom one belonging to Prince.

8. Hardest person to buy for? Without a doubt, it's Prince's parents. How do you spell F-R-U-S-R-A-T-I-O-N. Shopping for these people. No matter how much thought I put into it, it just never seems right. Since Prince never helps and has no opinion on the matter, and I never really get a thank you from his parents, I'm guessing things are exactly what they seem.

9. Easiest person to buy for? My mom because I adore her, we're both sentimental saps and very in-tune to each other.

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? My ex-MIL gave me a butt-ugly peach-coloured flower arrangement made entirely of acrylic. I can't even describe how truly awful it was. Start with ATROCIOUSLY HIDEOUS and let your imagination lead you...

11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Always mail - there's just something about getting a nice card instead of the usual bills. I try to include kid's school pix and one of those perky (nauseauting) family newsletters. Skipped the newsletter this year since I was running low on perky.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? The Sound of Music - I watched it every year with my dad, who was from Austria. To this day, I have no idea why it's considered a Christmas movie, but when Christopher Plummer starts singing "Edleweiss" I start bawling. It's a MUST. Honorable mentions to The Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I start picking things up in the summer but I usually forget about them until January. The nitty-gritty shopping starts in late November, when I turn into a truly crazed mall rat.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Only once - when my ex-FIL left the ex-MIL, I gave him the acrylic flower arrangement for a housewarming gift because he admired it oh-so-very-much. What could I do? Okay, the LMAO probably wasn't necessary, but I was so happy to make him happy because I am a good person.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? I will NOT pick ONE and nobody can make me!!

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Coloured lights just seem to go better with all the ornaments the kids have made over the years. Let's face it, a Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer made out of popsicle sticks and googly eyes would be awfully bland without some colour.

17. Favorite Christmas song? Nope, not picking one. Bing Crosby/David Bowie's Little Drummer Boy, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Carol of the Bells, Silent Night...oh, I could go on and on.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Home for Christmas. If there's any travelling, it's the week between Christmas and New Year's. One year sticks out in my mind and is a testament my love of family. We got a military flight (freebie) to visit Tippy, Tink & the family. During the holidays, the military opens service flights up to members and their families, crossing the country with stops at each base. Occasionaly, the flight will continue to a southern climate. It was quite memorable to be the only five people getting off in the -40 degree snowstorm in Edmonton, knowing EVERYBODY else on the plane was going on to Comox, and then Hawaii. I really DO love ya, Tink... ; )

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Dopey, Sleepy, Grumpy, Doc, Mr. Ed, Black Beauty...ummm....no, that's not right. Heheh. {Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder, Blitzen, and Rudolph...didn't think I'd recall, did ya?}

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? A beautiful red-haired angel that Samantha made in grade one from a tiny clay pot and sparkly blue pipe cleaners. See...can you imagine sticking classy clear lights on my tree? I think not.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? When I was growing up, we always opened on Christmas Eve, so my kids open one then and the rest on Christmas morning.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Every dumb-ass who hasn't a clue how to drive is out on the roads. AND they're distracted. I really think they should get computers so they can shop on-line and stay the hell out of my way!

23. Do you decorate your tree in any specific theme or color? Nope. One year I want to have two trees, one like we have now and another themed one...red lights, silver balls and red ribbons. I thought about one with clear lights, silver ribbons and blue...well...you know...but it just seems like bad karma to torture the men in the house.

BTW....Tink, hun...I don't think you're allowed to threaten to call me Scrooge if I didn't send this back. It just ain't right. Did you get my message the other night or are you in Calgary? HAPPY HANUKKAH, SWEETIE!! : )

1 comment:

Lemon Stand said...

Very nicely done Robyn!