Monday, November 06, 2006

A QUIET SUNDAY

"A good mother is like a quilt; she keeps her children warm, but doesn't smother them." ~Unknown
Monday is going to be a fairly brutal day. I'm tired just thinking about it. Sweet Pea's school play starts at seven, Supah Stah's final reg season football game for the high school team starts at three, should be over by six; and I've had to re-arrange plans so I can pick up the Prince, because he can't be driving after curfew. : o) Naturally, all of these are in three different towns. Good thing I like to drive. As for all the pesky "other" stuff that needs my attention, I'm just gonna stay in denial. : D

Even though I'll be running around doing my very faulty human impression of Supermom, it'll be a great day. Sugah Pie is turning 12!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BABY!!!!!! No, I'm not saying you're a baby. Yes, you'll always be my baby. You're growing up to be a terrific young lady and I'm so very proud of you. I LOVE YOU!!!

I don't know where the time has gone...I'm so proud of all my kids, but also a little sad. A recurring theme in my blog? You betcha. I'm feeling the pangs of empty nest syndrome already, and it scares the bejeezus out of me. Maybe it's a product of being a parent my entire adult life? Some days I feel like my whole identity is wrapped up in them. So what will I be when they've flown the nest?
The Prince says he understand my feelings, but I know he doesn't. He often mentions all the great things that will happen after the kids have moved out. It just spears my gut, but I've learned to stay quiet about how it makes me feel. I know it says more about me than him. Children grow and leave, it's the natural progression. The problem isn't unique and I'll work my way through it, but sometimes it just helps to say, "Hey, I'm struggling with it."

On second thought, I'm totally okay with doing the Superwoman impression as long as they'll let me.

Speaking of Supermom's, I've simply got to say KUDOs to Tinkerbell. She works on the geriatric ward in a hospital and is mom to my beautiful niece MyBean (4 1/2) and nephew Oz (2 1/2). So guess who got stuck with the 7 am - 11 am shift on Christmas morning? Arggg. I know someone has to work Christmas, but I'm just torqued that it's a young mother.

So Tink did what she does best - she' s turned a negative into a positive and I'm so PROUD of her!! She's making a ton of candy-cane reindeers (super-easy, festive & cheap). Christmas morning around 9:30, her hubby Tippy will dress MyBean & Oz in Santa hats and they'll deliver them to the elderly residents and visit Mommy for a bit. How cool is that?? I've gotta tell ya, MyBean & Oz are seriously adorable and they're gonna make those residents eyes light up. Not to mention the incredible lesson it teaches the little ones. Christmas really isn't about getting gifts, it's about giving and sharing joy with others. I hope Tink, Tippy & the kids will make this a yearly tradition.

Everyone's life is so darn busy, it's easy to lose sight of the importance of helping those less fortunate than ourselves. Tink inspired me and I'm wracking my brain for something wonderful our family can do for others this Christmas. I make yearly donations to my charities of choice, and faithfully donate to food & toy banks during the holidays. Sugah Pie's school has a mitten tree where students can buy a pair and hang them like decorations until school closes for the holidays - then they're given to those in the community who are in need. Donations to the Santa project for overseas CF members, check. The local fire department has an annual coat drive, which is a joy to donate to...I'm sure it has *nothing* to do with visiting the firehouse and my obsession with it's occupants.No matter how hard life can be, I know there's always someone worse off, whether financially, emotionally, or physically. I think this year I'm going to follow Tink's lead and find a way to let people who are lonely know they aren't forgotten. I'll keep ya posted and any ideas are totally welcome.

As I post this, it's 48 days, 01 hour, 48 minutes 'til Christmas...

No comments: