Wednesday, November 01, 2006

HAPPY AUTHOR'S DAY

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~Cicero

As anyone who knows me can attest, I love books. I dream of one day having a room with floor to ceiling shelves, crammed with books, and a quiet cozy chair. In my library, I'll have the peace to enjoy my favourite pastime. I know the Prince won't disturb me in my sanctuary, because he recently told me he hates the way books smell. HUH?? I love everything about books, including the way they feel in my hands and yes, the way they smell. At times like that, I wonder how it is I'm living with this heathen. Opposites attract I suppose.

For now, I'll have to be content with my little piles of books scattered throughout the house. I'm celebrating Author's Day by picking up two books I had on order from Chapter's. They called last night to say they're in. Gimme, gimme!

Hope everyone had a Happy Halloween. I meant to post yesterday, but it was a busy one and time slipped away from me. As the kids get older, I find I'm enjoying the spooky night less and less. Perhaps the joy will come back when I have grandchildren. OMG, I can't believe I just said that.
Sugah Pie donned her Faerie Princess costume and hit the street armed with a pillowcase and her best bud. I'm no longer required on the walk of loot and I doubt I'd be welcome. As they headed off, I was reminded again how fast they grow up. She came home with quite a stash, and it should keep her going until Christmas.

Supah Stah's costume consisted of not shaving for 5 days, which gave him serious face fur, slicking back his hair and throwing on a pair of plastic fangs. Voila. Wolverine. Now, as the traditional candy doler, if he'd shown up on my door, I would've handed the kid a razor and told him to piss off. Apparently, he charmed his way through any such difficulties, because he came in the door clutching a large bag of candy and snickering. His stash should keep him going until the weekend.

Sweet Pea's Anthropology teacher told the class they could have a party if everyone wore costumes. No dressy - no goodies & class as usual. Surprisingly, they all made the effort and my darling daughter wore a tiara made of pink fluff and gems, with wings on her back. The teacher had everyone stand up while she discussed what each person's costume made them. "Sweet Pea is a Faerie." Now, this is where it becomes apparent she's my child: "Excuse me." She points to her tiara with a flick of the wrist. "I'm a faerie princess." Oh, to be 16 again. For the evening, she went to her boyfriend's house to hang out with Blondie and the boys du jour. I suspect Sweat Pea's costume consisted of her boyfriend's imitation of a lip-locked leech. Don't wanna think about it. Blech.

No comments: