Tuesday, October 24, 2006

MY KID BROKE ANOTHER KID

Supah Stah broke a guy's shoulder yesterday.

No, he hasn't turned into a violent criminal. He was at the first camp of tryouts for a team representing Canada in a tournament this winter. Bad luck for the other kid. I really feel for him and wish him a speedy recovery. A mom to the bitter end, I asked Supah Stah if he was okay. I received a quizzical glance and a shrug. "Mom, it's part of the game." Well now, didn't I raise a sympathetic smart-ass?

I first started watching the CFL with my dad when I was 12. He was so thrilled by his little girl's love of the game that when I was 14, he took me to see an Argos v. Roughriders game. We were bonding. Imagine the sheer joy Daddy must have experienced when I sighed, "Wow...their butts look so cute!"

In addition to how nicely a football uniform enhances the male physique, I think there's an evolutionary cue about my psyche in my love of the game; perhaps I'm not very evolved. I admit to experienceing a primal joy in watching a game that is so inherently male and agressive.

When Supah Stah plays? I celebrate his ability to be physically agressive in a venue that has rules and purpose, against other like-minded young men. I get really revved up when he makes awesome, crunching hits, knocking the offensive line off their useless feet. Grrrrr. I've been occasionaly heard muttering, "Hit him! That's it, take him down!" : o)

Like any other sport-parent, I know there are risks involved. There was plenty of time to think about that when he was playing in Europe last summer. Since he's turned 18, it's no longer my choice, but I still support him 110% even though I know the risks are there. When he was younger, I evaluated and accepted the risks, because he loves the game. Playing football has given him experiences I could never have provided. I couldn't take it away from him based on "what if's." So far, his injuries have been minimal and like most guys, the badder the bruise, the more he struts around, however, this is the second time he's putting someone else in a cast.

If this keeps up, I'm getting a hat that says, "I'm Bone Crusher's Mom."

It's been so dreary here and I absolutely can't wait for the time change. 3:00 p.m. is so not the time for it to get dark in Robyn's world! Even the Prince is feeling affected. He said if this keeps up, he's getting Vitamin D IVs for the whole family. It's not like this Vancouver boy doesn't have a little rain running through his veins so I'm seriously concerned for those of us who are accustomed to seeing the sun sometime betwen early October and late April.

Between the weather and trying to move everything over to this site, I'm not feeling too inspired. Fortunately, I'm usually creative when I'm grasping at straws. I'm a think on my feet kind of gal. ; )

No comments: