Sunday, November 04, 2007

GUESS WHO CAUGHT THE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT?

I'll tell you who didn't...

Manimal: (Either) A total grouch all weekend, creating a tension headache based on no small amount of jaw-clenching, (or) inexplicably denied himself the abundant joy of sharing my cheerful opinion on any number of subjects. Bah!

Sugah Pie: Moderately alarmed that my Yuletide mood would deprive her of L.O.O.T. befitting a birthday Princess. Fears abated after reassurance that I'd already purchased everything for her birthday and Luau, and that goodness would prevail in her universe.

Sweet Pea: Declared herself the family Grinch this year and grumbled when SupahStah played Christmas carols (that's the spirit, m'boy ; )

Now, whyevah would a normally festive girlchild of 17+ years choose to be a Grinch?

She realized that since she has a J.O.B. this year, she will actually have to P.A.Y. for gifts to her loved ones ...using her O.W.N. money.

Gasp!?!?!

Yes, darling. Really.

Grumble, grumble.

So that's who didn't catch the holiday spirit this 4th day of November. My firstborn and I, however, couldn't help ourselves and are totally pumped for the up-coming season. As I wrapped gifts this evening, he organized and played all the music we'll need to get us through the next two months (!) in the merriest of moods.

The box containing wrapped gifts for Tink, Tippy, Bean and Oz is packed-up, addressed and ready for it's Alberta-bound journey to begin at the Post Office (Oh, let's not go there.) So, hah! Don't even try to tell me the season isn't filled with everyday miracles.

One of my biggest challenges is the Annual Ornament Hunt ... I'm always cheery after finding each ornament that somehow reminds me of specific friends. Now, don't go thinking I just pluck any old air-freshener off the shelf at the gas station and send it with a note that lovingly declares, "This made me think of you." Nope. I really think about these people while I shop until I find The One. It's sometimes an exhausting, tear-inducing task I commit myself to. Yet, each year, I continue ... sort of like the kid that keeps banging their head against a wall ... because somehow, no matter how painful, it's also oddly fun. Well, boys and girls, this year, The Hunt began with great success. Five friends are already checked off the list. Woohoo!

Normally I love Christmas, but this is a little early, even for me. Blame it on Tim Horton's. No word of a lie, I received my first Timmy's Christmas cup at 9 pm on October 31st. Those not yet prepared to have the most expensive Wonderful Time of the Year shoved down their throats could be forgiven for shrieking, "My gawd, what IS it with these people?"

I can almost hear Tim's managers barking out the order ..."Okay, people. It's 8:55 pm. Trick or treating is sooo OVER. Get out those Christmas cups NOW! Move it, move it!!"

After all, there's ONLY...
Christmas countdown banner

P.S. Motorman: Yes, I promise to bake Grinch poo this year ; )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

O V E R A C H I E V E R!

( so whaddya get me?;)

Anonymous said...

Did you have to remind us???????

OK, I admit... I have started shopping. And this afternoon I'm off to make Xmas cards... or atleast get started.

S.