Thursday, September 20, 2007

Wow. I burned off a lot of anger with the previous blog. Rest easy, I haven't felt the need to cuss like a truckdriver in this one.

Manimal's doing really well. He's been up walking twice, only used the handy-dandy morphine button twice all day. Very determined to get better and get off it. Of course, that has a bit to do with the morphine itself. He's HUNGRY...his last meal was Saturday. He'd only had ice-chips since the surgery and tonight the nurse brought him a popsicle...his eye's lit up like a two year old. "Do I really get to have the whole thing?" She chuckled. I can't remember the last time I saw someone enjoy a popsicle so much. He told SupahStah he can work from the hospital through emails. Or so he thinks. When he asked me for his palm-pilot, I just him the evil eye as I shook my head.

As long as he continues to do well, he'll be in hospital for a week and off work four to six weeks. I hope Motorman will let him come back after that. Tomorrow I'm getting a lesson on the care of his incision and in all the workings of this new-to-us gadget. He wasn't sure how I'd handle it and told the nurse not to "push me" because it's "really gross." Sweet, but stupid of the man. He knows I'd rather have a chance to ask questions. Fear of the unknown and all that. I totally understand his insecurities about how I might feel, but I told him that I'm going to love those scars because they saved his life. Odd that we've never spoken the "richer/poorer, sickness/health" vows. We just live it.

After he's discharged, a home care nurse will come in for two to three weeks to help with changing the dressings, and any problems we run into. Thank goodness...it would be a bit of an understatement to say I don't have a helluva lot of confidence in myself as a caregiver right now.

Thank you for the emails and comments. I had a chance to read them tonight and appreciate the support...just not up to responding. Andrea, your offer means so much to me. I feel like I've fallen through the rabbit hole. Could you please email me with any information/opinion you think will be helpful? Thanks so much. I'm heading off to bed. As I keep hearing, I need to take care of myself so I can take care of my family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sent you an email. I have a friend that has "been there, done that twice" if you want to talk to someone local-ish. She lives near my parents.

Hopefully he'll be feeling better soon. Hide the computer :)

S.