Tuesday, July 17, 2007

DON'T TELL ME...SHOW ME

Anyone who has been in a long-term relationship knows there are times when you look at the other person and think, "Who the hell are you and why am I with you?"

I admit it. I've had many of those moments over the last few years. Honestly, with all the stress we've lived with, I expect I've had more of those moments than most people. Then again, maybe I'm just a totally impossible to satisfy, ungrateful bitch.

One thing I know about myself, though, I call 'em like I see 'em. This is one of those times Manimal did one of those unexpectedly kind things that steal my breath and make me think, "Ahh, yes, now I remember what a wonderfully special person you are and how lucky I am to share my life with you!"

Sugah Pie and I were away for the weekend and Sunday morning, Manimal was awoken by a neighbour alerting him to one of our furbabies on the side of the road. Our little Max, who wasn't afraid of cars, because I stupidly trained him not to be.

In our defence...we live in the country, trying to keep seven animals who are determined to escape indoors is almost impossible, and our road is one where nobody should be driving fast enough to hit an animal. But it happens. And I feel like shit about it, so let's not talk about the guilt of knowing if we kept our cats inside, this wouldn't have happened. I've already berated myself to tears and have the unenviable task of helping a child-woman deal with grief over losing her best friend.

Naturally, the kitty we lost was Sugah Pie's special buddy....she called him her son. When I brought him home, I left him sleeping on her bed to wait for her to come home from school. When she went to the corner store, he followed her, waited outside and then followed her home like a dog. He slept in her room, on a special fuzzy blanket, and they had a bedtime routine. Every night, he drank two caps of water from her water bottle before they schmoozed; she petted, he purred. Then he snuggled into his blanket and they slept.

Manimal knew that I, the consumate crazy cat lady, would be terribly sad, but Sugah Pie was about to be devastated. When he texted me to call home asap, I panicked at the thought of my new driver, Sweet Pea, and imagined all sorts of horrible scenarios. My first words were, "What's wrong????" He told me to calm down, everyone else was alright, but Max had passed away. I foolishly blurted out, "He got hit, didn't he?" Sugah Pie's face just fell. *smack in the head* Way to go, Mom. Just a great job breaking it to her gently, you dork.

I have to give her a ton of credit. What a tough age, stuck between wanting to sob like a child and expecting yourself to behave grown-up like woman. We were with friends she'd just met and she didn't want to carry on in front of them. (Btw, TY for the quick privacy, B!) After a few tears, she sucked it up and we carried on with breakfast, but I had a feeling she'd let it out on the ride home. And boy, she did ever. It just broke my heart when she wailed she wanted to see Max one last time. I called Manimal to ask if she could, knowing he would understand what I was really asking. It must have been instant, because he didn't even look like he'd been hit. Manimal initially thought he was sleeping while sunning himself. Thank gawd for small miracles.

So here comes the part that stole my breath with it's absolute, heartbreaking kindness and compassion...knowing Sugah Pie would be devastated, Manimal did his best to ease her pain, by treating her friend Max with the same dignity one would expect for a human being.

He put him in a small wooden box draped in a sheet, used the end of the sheet to cover the open top, and laid a tiger lily from my garden on top. My eyes teared up when I saw it...but when I pulled the sheet back, I bawled like a baby. There was our little buddy, lying on his side like he was sleeping, and he was circled with lillies.

And I fell in love all over again with the man who cares enough to do something so utterly simple, yet so basically sweet and important for our little girl. A gesture that other men might scoff at or never even think of. It speaks volumes to me about his love for us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wellllll, sniff....on so many levels...sniff...Sugah Pie...so sorry again....at the time/now I wish/ed I could do more...

Sugah Pie...REMEMBER your Dad loves you....keep in mind HIS actions..not only to you/your mom/your family...but your Mom's extended "family"...when you go seeking your own Manimal....

What a man!

Janet Webb said...

Ears burning, "if I had a nickel", "did you read?" ... Robyn, do you have ANY idea how many people make your their first blog stop ... and last ... of each and every day. Love to read you between the covers of a hardcover book someday! -- that was so touching. And there's something about a sweet, long-term, know all their warts ~ and wonderfulness ~ kinda guy!

Again, thank you :)