Monday, March 19, 2007

IQ via TV

CBC aired their version of a live IQ test on Sunday evening. Test the Nation has results from people who participated online and in the studio audience groups. Natural-born suckers that we are, Manimal, the girls and I watched it and played along.

Oh my, I wish the ads had read, Let Us Make You Feel Like a Dork.

The 60 questions were interspersed with interviews among the groups assembled: surgeons, millionaires, mayors, celebs, radio dj's, fitness instructors and tattooists. They also tracked people participating online by things such as gender, handedness, hair colour, zodiac sign, morning/night person, and locations across the country. What? No stereotypes?

Before starting, we made sure to warn the girls that the results wouldn't provide an accurate number, and IQ was only developed as a tool to gauge ability to learn, so they shouldn't get hung up on this little bit of entertainment. I really wasn't surprised at how each of us scored in areas of Language, Memory, Proverbs, Logic, Math and Perception. I know my family pretty well and snickered as each struggled or zoomed through the portions I'd predicted. How flattering for me that Sugah Pie declared, "Mum will definitely score the highest!" Manimal responded that was okay, because he is much better at opening jars than I am.

I've spent enough time as a student to know where my strengths and weaknesses like. My prediction to the fam was that I'd probably do well through the first half, but by the second, they could just prop me in a corner and make sure to occasionally wipe up the drool. By the end of the language, memory and proverbs section, my answers were 94% correct - at the time, the surgeons were high scorers at 84.4%. Big whoohoo for me, but Manimal was considering running away to become a tattoo artist. Of course, being the tender, caring woman I am, I inquired if he'd like me to speak a little slower.

Alas, my glory was short-lived. Throughout the logic questions, I was squinting at the tv and plugging my ears so I could think. I barely kept up through the math (quite frankly, there was guessing was involved.) As I suspected, perception found me with a quizzical expression, turning my head to the left and right like an idiot dog, trying to figure out what was happening. It really annoyed the hell out of me how fast he was jotting down answers!

I'm not going to tell you my score, even though I know the curiosity is eating away at you. Heheh. Manimal wanted to know, too...until I showed him (I think he's still a little miffed.)

We both scored above average, but the important thing is, I BEAT HIM, mrah ha harahahahah!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AH HA!!!! I shall NOT fall for this trick of yours R&R!!!!....(although, I did go wading in there;)....but alas...I can refrain from this "TEST" because....mrah ah ah ahahahahhaha I am NOT a Canuck...I have been disqualified before starting (thank you Jah-sus)....whew....skipping away smiling:)....

Anonymous said...

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate standardized tests. They're not written for my brain and my brain isn't wired for them - unlike my 99th percentile siblings. Still, I'm enough of a masochist that I just might have to go see how I stack up against the Canucks. (There's hope. After all, I DO have a degree from a Canuck University.)

Laughing at your family's "quality together time."

Prof

SINFUL said...

ACK! I hated being timed - I have a twitch now!! But no worry, according to the test results I won't remember the twitch - hell, I won't remember taking the test! Language, math - brilliant. The rest . . . cant' remember!!!

HAHAHA - That was fun!!!!